File a complaint

The first step in filing a complaint with DFEH is to fill out a form called an intake form. The submission of this form initiates an intake interview with a department representative to determine whether a formal complaint will be accepted for investigation. If you would prefer not to use the DFEH Investigation process, you may instead file your own lawsuit for employment discrimination in court by obtaining a Right-To-Sue notice.

Before you begin this process, please review the following:

  • If your alleged incidents occurred outside of California, contact us before proceeding with the intake form. FEH generally has jurisdiction over acts of discrimination, harassment, or retaliation that occur within California.
    • The Department needs more information to determine if you can file a complaint. Please let the DFEH representative know that you attempted to file a complaint online but, DFEH needed more information.
    • You may also contact the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission at 800-669-4000 or TTY 800-669-6820 or ASL Video Phone 844-234-5122.
  • Have you filed a complaint in this matter with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)? If yes, you do not have to file a separate claim with DFEH.
    • The DFEH has a work-sharing agreement with the EEOC and HUD. Where both DFEH and the EEOC have jurisdiction, you can file a complaint with either agency, and the agency where you file first will investigate.
    • If you have already filed a complaint with EEOC or HUD, they will file the complaint with DFEH. EEOC or HUD will conduct the investigation and will retain all records of the complaint and investigation. If you have questions about a complaint filed with EEOC, please call 800-669-4000 (voice), 800-669-6820 (TTY), or 844-234-5122 (ASL Video Phone). If you have questions about a case filed with HUD, please contact HUD directly. To find the contact information of the HUD office closest to you, please visit
  • If you are a Federal employee, the DFEH does not have jurisdiction for your employment complaint.

You can file the intake form:

  1. Online by creating an account and using our interactive Cal Civil Rights System, CCRS.
  2. By mail
  3. By phone
  4. By fax to 1-888-519-5917
  5. By email to

Get in touch with DFEH

For general information, get in touch with us:

Accessibility information

If you need help accessing our information because you have a disability, please contact us to arrange an accommodation:

For a translation

DFEH assists anyone who needs a translation into his or her native language:

  • Información en Español
  • Call the DFEH Communications Center, at 800-884-1684, ask for an interpreter, and tell them what language you need. We will get a free interpreter on the phone for you.
  • If you have trouble, call the DFEH Language Access Coordinator: