The Department of Fair Employment and Housing provides free online training courses on preventing sexual harassment and abusive conduct in the workplace that satisfy California’s legal training requirements pursuant to Gov’t Code 12950.1.
California law requires all employers of 5 or more employees to provide 1 hour of sexual harassment and abusive conduct prevention training to nonsupervisory employees and 2 hours of sexual harassment and abusive conduct prevention training to supervisors and managers once every two years. The law requires the training to include practical examples of harassment based on gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation.
- The training is accessible on a computer or mobile device.
- Internet browsers required:
- Windows: Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
- Mac: Safari (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
- Mobile: Safari in Apple iOS 10 or later, Google Chrome in Apple iOS 10 or later, Google Chrome in Android OS 4.4 or later
- The training module will not save your progress. If you refresh or reload the page, you may lose your progress toward completion.
- At the end of the training, you will have the option to utilize a certificate of completion. Using computer/mobile device functions, you can choose to save, print, take a screenshot, or take a photo of the certificate. Please consult your employer for direction on if/how they prefer to receive the certificate. DFEH cannot email you a replacement certificate.
Limitations on Use
- DFEH's trainings may not be duplicated, reproduced, distributed, or ingested into a third-party system such as employers' e-learning platforms. The trainings contain materials licensed only to DFEH. DFEH anticipates updating these trainings from time to time to account for legal and policy developments.
- The trainings are available in English, Spanish, Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Tagalog.
- You may choose to turn closed captioning on or off in any version.
- There is alt-text for the images and the icons.
California Employer Requirements
- Employers must retain a record of all employees’ training for a minimum of two years.
- Employers must provide sexual harassment and abusive conduct prevention training to employees every two years.
- Employers must provide employees with a poster or fact sheet developed by the Department regarding Sexual Harassment, or equivalent information.
- To learn more about this and other requirements, please see our Frequently Asked Questions.