Check complaint status

To check the status of your pending complaint or mediation, get in touch directly with the staff member handling your case. If you have lost that information, or need other help regarding a specific complaint, please contact us.

Questions or concerns about the status of a pending investigation should be sent to the investigator assigned to your case or to the district administrator who manages the office in which your case is being investigated. Here is the contact information for each office. Mediation correspondence should be sent directly to your assigned mediator. Please use the e-mail or office address that s/he gave you. Be sure to include your assigned DFEH Inquiry number on all correspondence