Sexual Harassment Prevention Training

State law requires California employers of 50 or more employees to provide supervisory employees with 2 hours of interactive sexual harassment training and education every 2 years (CA Govt. Code Sec. 12950.1). There is no requirement that the 50 employees or contractors work at the same location or that all work or reside in California.

Employees. Under the DFEH’s regulations, the definition of “employee” includes full-time, part-time, and temporary employees.

Supervisory employees. Employers are required to train supervisory employees located in California, but not those who supervise California employees from a location outside the state. Newly hired or promoted supervisors must receive training within 6 months of assuming supervisory responsibilities and every 2 years thereafter. According to the FEHA, a supervisor is a person who has the authority to hire, transfer, suspend, lay off, recall, promote, discharge, assign, reward, or discipline other employees, or who has the responsibility to direct employees, adjust their grievances, or effectively recommend that action. DFEH’s regulations specify that attending anti-harassment training does not create an inference that an employee is actually a supervisor. Thus, an employer that is unsure of an employee’s status should include the employee in the training.

Additional information on training requirements

What can DFEH do?

If you become aware of a California employer who is not meeting the Sexual Harassment Prevention training requirements set forth in the law, you can notify us by filing out a Sexual Harassment Prevention Training complaint form (intake form). You can file the intake form:

  1. Online by creating an account and using our interactive Cal Civil Rights System, CCRS.
  2. By mail
  3. By phone

DFEH will investigate the training the employer provides and work with them to bring it into compliance with the law.

Get in touch with DFEH

For general information, get in touch with us:

Accessibility information

If you need help accessing our information because you have a disability, please contact us to arrange an accommodation:

For a translation

DFEH assists anyone who needs a translation into his or her native language: