Employment Discrimination

The Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) is responsible for enforcing state laws that make
it illegal to discriminate against a job applicant or employee because of the categories listed in the section
“Who is Protected?”


The first step in filing a complaint with DFEH is to fill out a form called an intake form. The submission of this form initiates an intake interview with a department representative to determine whether a formal complaint will be accepted for investigation.

If your alleged incidents occurred outside of California, contact us before proceeding with the intake form. FEH generally has jurisdiction over acts of discrimination, harassment, or retaliation that occur within California.

If you filed a complaint in this matter with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), you do not have to file a separate claim with DFEH. The DFEH has a work-sharing agreement with EEOC. Where both DFEH and the EEOC have jurisdiction, you can file a complaint with either agency, and the agency where you file first will investigate. If you have already filed a complaint with EEOC, they will file the complaint with DFEH. EEOC will conduct the investigation and will retain all records of the complaint and investigation.

If you are a Federal employee, the DFEH does not have jurisdiction for your complaint.

You can file the intake form:

Complaint Flowchart
For more information about filing a complaint, click here.


Here you can create the content that will be used within the module.