Respond to a complaint

If you are served with a complaint, it is only after DFEH has interviewed the person(s) who filed it and evaluated the information provided. DFEH screens all initial claims and rejects those that do not allege violations of the laws we enforce.

It is important to know that DFEH doesn’t take sides when a complaint is first filed. We investigate the facts and encourage parties to resolve the dispute in appropriate cases.  DFEH considers taking legal action if evidence supports a finding of discrimination and the dispute is not resolved.

If you are served with a complaint, you must provide a response within 30 days unless granted an extension. You are free to hire or consult with a lawyer, but the process does not require a lawyer.

Here is what to expect after you have responded to the complaint:

  • You may be interviewed by DFEH and/or asked for records and documents
  • DFEH offers free dispute resolution services to encourage parties to resolve the complaint in appropriate cases.  A voluntary resolution can be negotiated at any time during the complaint process.
  • When parties can’t resolve a complaint, the DFEH continues an investigation to determine if a violation of California law occurred. If it didn’t, the case is closed.
  • If DFEH finds there were probable violations of the law, the case moves into DFEH’s Legal Division. At that time, the parties are required to go to mediation.  At mediation, the parties have the opportunity to reach an agreement to resolve the dispute and close the case.
  • If mediation fails, DFEH may file a lawsuit in court.

Here is a link to the full regulations and what resources are available from DFEH.

You can respond to a complaint two ways:

  • Via US mail. Send your response to; 2218 Kausen Drive, Suite 100, Elk Grove, CA 95758.
  • Using our online California Civil Rights System (CCRS). This is a three-step process:
    1. Create an account for yourself. All you need is a valid email address and a phone number.
    2. Once you have an account, call 800-884-1684. Our staff will associate your account with the complaint.
    3. Sign into your account. You will see the DFEH complaint number. Click on Upload documents. Select the files you wish to upload.

Get in touch with DFEH

For general information, get in touch with us:

Accessibility information

If you need help accessing our information because you have a disability, please contact us to arrange an accommodation:

For a translation

DFEH assists anyone who needs a translation into his or her native language:

  • Información en Español
  • Call the DFEH Communications Center, at 800-884-1684, ask for an interpreter, and tell them what language you need. We will get a free interpreter on the phone for you.
  • If you have trouble, call the DFEH Language Access Coordinator: