Fair Housing 101
Fair Housing and Public Accommodations Subsection
In December 2008, DFEH Director Phyllis Cheng co-founded the Fair Housing and Public Accommodations Subsection of the State Bar Real Property Law Section. Any attorney interested in joining the Subsection and its e-Circle can email firstname.lastname@example.org. Since its inception, the Fair Housing and Public Accommodations Subsection accomplished the following:
- Organized a Steering Committee with a well-balanced group of fair housing/public accommodations practitioners from the plaintiff, defense, neutral, government, and non-profit sectors.
- Elected Subsection Co-Chairs: Susan Saylor, former DFEH Chief Counsel, and Kathy Belville, Partner, Kimball Tirey & St. John. In 2010, Sybil Villanueva, DFEH Associate Chief Counsel and Heidi Palutke of the California Apartment Association became the new Co-Chairs.
- Sponsored two highly successful day-long Fair Housing and Public Accommodations Symposiums at Golden Gate University School of Law in San Francisco and Southwestern Law School for attorneys, law students and others. On April 2,2011, the Subsection plans a third symposium at Golden Gate University School of Law in San Francisco.
- Sponsored a State Bar Webinar on disability and housing and a Marijuana Roundtable.
- Developed an active State Bar E-Circle with nearly 90 active members. The Subsection’s e-Circle page is rated among the “most active” sites. We do not have a record of how many new members the E-Circle and Subsection have brought to the Section, but suspect that we have contributed to that effort.
- Wrote two articles on the special issue of the California Real Property Journal, Issue 4, 2009, devoted to fair housing and public accommodations.
- Developed a detailed outline of the first-ever California Fair Housing and Public Accommodations Practice Guide. We are in serious discussion with two potential legal publishers to publish the practice guide.
- Proposed on more than one occasion workshop topics for the Real Property Law Section’s Annual Meeting and State Bar Winter SEI.
More to come...
- Read Julie Waltz First Amendment Policy - Housing Directive H-103.
- 2010 View of ADA
The Second Annual Fair Housing and Public Accommodations Symposium In Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the ADA
- Annual Fair Housing and Public Accommodations Symposium
Register online for the Annual Fair Housing and Public Accommodations Symposium sponsored by the Fair Housing and Public Accommodations Subsection, State Bar of California Real Property Law Section, in partnership with Golden Gate University School of Law.
View and download housing videos.