Effective July 1, 2014, the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) will no longer serve complaints and Right to Sue notices on behalf of unrepresented complainants, who choose to obtain an immediate Right to Sue. The complainant who files the complaint and requests the Right to Sue Notice will be responsible for serving them on the respondents.

Right To Sue Process

The Fair Employment and Housing act (FEHA), at Government Code section 12965, subdivision (b), requires that individuals must exhaust their administrative remedies with the DFEH by filing a complaint and obtaining a "right-to-sue notice" from the Department before filing a lawsuit under the FEHA. DFEH will accept requests for an immediate DFEH Right to Sue Notice from persons who have decided to proceed in court. Your DFEH complaint must be filed within one year from the last act of discrimination or you may lose your right to file a lawsuit under the FEHA.

If you wish to have the Department investigate your complaint instead of requesting a "right-to-sue notice," please file a complaint or contact us. You may obtain a Right to Sue Notice at this time by: Using the Online System.

How to Amend

Complaints Issued AFTER July 2, 2012

If you obtained your complaint and Right to Sue notice after July, 2, 2012, amendments to your complaint can be made by logging into to the online system and clicking on the [amend] button. If you have questions regarding the system, please visit Support  or contact us.

Complaints Issued BEFORE July 2, 2012

For complaints issued before July 2, 2012, any amendments or modifications to your complaint(s) must be made manually by DFEH staff. Please follow the steps below to amend or modify your complaint:

  1. Make a copy of the complaint.
  2. Make the changes on the complaint.
  3. Sign and date the complaint at the bottom on the left side by the filing date.

Email the modified complaint to . In your email, please indicate the changes that are being made to the complaint. Once your amendments or modifications have been processed, the office will forward you a copy of the modified complaint within 10 business days.