Announcements and Press Releases
5/29/14 - United States District Court Judge Edward M. Chen entered a Permanent Injunction forever banning the Law School Admission Council from annotating or "flagging" the LSAT scores of test takers who took the examination with the accommodation of additional test time. In the past, LSAC had reported the scores of those test takers and identified that the test taker was an individual with a disability, that the test had been taken under non standard conditions and that the test scores had to be viewed with great sensitivity. In addition the Judge today gave court approval to a 61 page Consent Decree with extensive provisions and revisions to LSAC's practices regarding testing accommodations and which provides for $8.73 million in monetary relief. See comments on DFEH v. LSAC. See Cartoon: DFEH v. LSAC - We Leveled the Playing Field.
5/21/14 - Director Phyllis Cheng profiled on Inside Counsel magazine's May 2014 cover story, State of Evolution: Inside the DFEH.
5/20/14 - DFEH's Multimillion-Dollar Settlement Levels the Playing Field for People with Disabilities in Law School Admissions. See press release (HTML | PDF), Consent Decree (HTML | PDF), and more. See stories in Courthouse News, National Law Journal, ABA Journal, San Francisco Chronicle, Wall Street Journal, Law360, Forbes, The Recorder, Daily Journal, Inside Counsel, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, ABC News, Seyfarth Shaw Class Action Blog, Seyfarth Shaw ADA Title III Blog, News Park Forest, and others. See Cartoon: LSAT Admins Get Schooled in The Recorder.
4/29/14 - In United Parcel Post v. Dept. Fair Employ. & Hous. (Mason) (CA4/3 G049493), the Court of Appeal, in an unpublished opinion, affirmed that the employer had unlawfully terminated the employee in violation of the Fair Employment and Housing Act because it discriminated against her based on a physical disability and failed to take all reasonable steps necessary to prevent discrimination from occurring.
4/28/14 - See Facilitating Facilities in the Workplace: The DFEH Litigates a Gender Identity Access Case in the Seyfarth Shaw Blog.
4/2/14 - The Senate Rules Committee unanimously confirmed Governor Brown's appointees to the Fair Employment and Housing Council---Chairperson Chaya Mandelbaum, Councilmembers Dale Brodsky, Chanée Franklin Minor, Patricia Perez and Andrew Schneiderman. See the photo and video.
3/25/14 - HUD issues letter applauding DFEH's considerable progress, removes the DFEH from a performance improvement plan, and initiates renewal of a five-year MOU, which would effectively recertify the California Fair Employment and Housing Act’s substantial equivalency to the Federal Fair Housing Act.
3/14/14 - Digital Journal by PRWEB wrote a story on "HoudiniEsq a Resounding Success for California's Department of Fair Employment and Housing."
3/13/14 - The DFEH is moving forward with a first of its kind transgender case, more info on today’s ruling here. See Legal Aid Society-Employment Law Center's Web site posting on this story.
3/3/14 - LAW 360 wrote a story on "Calif. Agency Asks To Join WinCo Discrimination Suit." Here is an excerpt: "The California Department of Fair Employment and Housing urged a California federal judge on Monday to let it intervene... in a WinCo Foods LLC employee's discrimination suit against the grocery chain, saying her case could impact larger efforts to prove WinCo illegally discriminates against pregnant and disabled workers. An adverse ruling in Victoria Stowers' case, which accuses WinCo of firing her after she requested medical leave to recover from a hysterectomy, could jeopardize an 18-month DFEH investigation into the company's employment policies, many of which are discriminatory and harm employees and the state, DFEH attorney Mari Mayeda argued. “We are in a far better position than Stowers” to show WinCo has followed discriminatory practices for years, Mayeda said. “The department's interests would be in peril … if she doesn't prevail, WinCo will attempt to use this in litigation in settlement with other employees who come forward.” The DFEH's investigation has focused on a handful of WinCo policies, particularly one that requires employees to be “100 percent healed” from any condition and able to do their jobs without accommodation. Although WinCo says it doesn't follow the policy, it exists in writing and violates state and federal employment law, according to the DFEH." Access limited to subscribers: http://www.law360.com/m/articles/515002/
2/24/14 - DFEH Director Phyllis Cheng testified before the Senate Committee on Business, Professions & Economic Development Hearing on Fake Service Dogs. See KCRA story and KABC-TV coverage.
1/30/14 - The Department of Fair Employment and Housing, under a grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, produced new 2014 "Fair Housing 101" videos to educate Californians about their right to be free from discrimination in housing under the Fair Employment and Housing Act.
- 12/18/13 - Department of Fair Employment and Housing Reaches Agreement with City of San Diego for Alleged Sexual Harassment Training Violations. See the settlement agreement.
- 9/24/13 - Department of Fair Employment and Housing Wins State Bar Education Pipeline Award. See related SVCnews.com article, COC Shares in Award for Diversity. See the State Bar 12th Annual Diversity Award Invitation and the Diversity Stakeholder Forum and Awards Reception Invitation celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech.
- 9/22/13 - DFEH discusses its new case management system in a cloud on segment aired and/or to be aired on 21st Century Business Fox News, CNBC and Bloomberg.
- 9/10/13 - Department of Fair Employment and Housing Forms Partnership with UC San Diego Extension for Civil Rights Clinic.
- 8/13/13 - Department of Fair Employment and Housing Forms Partnership with Pepperdine University School of Law for Clinical Mediation Program. See the press release of Pepperdine University School of Law.
- 6/5/13 - The Daily Journal reported on government and non-profit recruitment of law clerks, focusing on the DFEH’s partnerships with UC Irvine and Davis law schools. Citing to direct experience taking depositions, questioning witnesses, making opening statements and closing arguments, settling and winning cases, Director Phyllis Cheng said, “‘This is the place where civil rights lawyers will cut their teeth.’“
- 5/13/13 - Governor Edmund G. Brown, Jr., proclaims Asian Pacific Islander Heritage Month.
- 5/1/13 - California Lawyer Magazine reports on the DFEH's Law School Admission Council class action litigation.
- 5/6/13 - Governor Brown appoints five attorneys to the DFEH Fair Employment and Housing Council, a rulemaking body.
- 4/26/13 - Seyfarth Shaw Class Action Blog reports EEOC Redux: Federal Judge Holds California State Agency Exempt From Rule 23 Requirements.
- 4/22/13 - The Recorder reports that the DFEH's LSAT Discrimination Suit Gets Green Light. Read U.S. District Court Judge Edward Chen's 19-page order, which holds: "When a government agency pursues class wide relief through a civil enforcement action, it is not prosecuting a 'class action' subject to Rule 23." This is the first time the well-settled legal principle applied to federal Title VII prosecutions by the EEOC has been applied to enforcement of the California Fair Employment and Housing Act by the DFEH. See also the 4/23/13 Daily Journal on the same story.
- 3/28/13 - The Workplace Class Action Blog reports California Promises a Pattern and Practice of FEHA Enforcement Actions.
- 3/25/13 - Law 360 reports More Class Suits Ahead, Says Calif. Employment Agency Chief.
- 02/16/13 - in Harris v. City of Santa Monica.
- 02/06/13 - State Bar Honors Phyllis Cheng as 2012 Public Lawyer of the Year
- 02/06/12 - 2012 Ronald M. George Public Lawyer of the Year Award - Remarks of Award Recipient Phyllis Cheng
- 01/30/13 - Law School Admission Council Loses Bid to Narrow DFEH’s Discrimination Class Action, Daily Journal Reports.
- 12/17/12 - DFEH announces that renowned civil rights class action lawyer Mari Mayeda, former Saperstein Seligman Mayeda Goldstein partner & Impact Fund chair, has joined the Department as Sr. Staff Counsel.
- 11/28/12 - Merced Sun Star reports the DFEH and City of Merced settle $425,000 discrimination suit with firefighter.
- 10/22/12 - National Law Journal publishes article on DFEH v. Law School Admission Council class action, Heat is on for Law School Test.
- 10/19/12 -
- 10/19/12 - DFEH v. Law School Admission Council accessibility in testing case becomes national class action. See The Recorder and U.S. DOJ press release.
- 10/12/12 - DFEH Director Phyllis Cheng Receives 2012 Ronald M. George Public Lawyer of the Year Award
- 10/02/12 - State and Local Leaders Welcome DFEH to Fremont (Program) (Photos)
- 10/02/12 - Nationally Renowned Civil Rights Class Action Specialist, Brad Seligman, Trains DFEF Staff
- 09/24/12 - Law School Test Admin Must Defend ADA Claim - Courthouse News
- 08/03/12 - Trucking Company Pays $450,000 to Settle Fresno Workplace Discrimination Case
- 08/03/12 - LexisNexis® Emerging Issues Analysis published Director Phyllis Cheng's article on "Sweeping Changes to FEHA Enforcement to Come in 2013" as a result of SB 1038. See more on www.lexisnexis.com
- 08/02/12 - The Daily Journal, California's largest legal news provider, published on its front page Director Phyllis Cheng's article, "Transformative year for California's civil rights enforcement."
- 07/31/12 - The Daily Journal, California's largest legal news provider, published a story on the Department of Fair Employment and Housing's group/class action against the Law School Admission Council for failure to provide accessibiltiy to test takers with disabilities.
- 06/30/12 - DFEH Legal Victories and Settlements, First & Second Quarters 2012
- 05/24/12 - California Orders Fresno Business to Pay $45,000 for Sexual Harassment (Read the Decision)
- 05/04/12 - State Bar to Name Phyllis Cheng 2012 Ronald M. George Public Lawyer of the Year (Read the State Bar's Press Release)
- 04/06/12 - Fair Housing Month 2012 Kickoff - DFEH Awarded $475,000 HUD Grant to Launch Premier Fair Housing Clinic with Rio Hondo College (Read about the DFEH-National Fair Housing Training Academy Curriculum)
- 1/30/12 - Senator Corbett Welcomes DFEH Regional Office to Fremont
- 1/30/12 - Department of Fair Employment and Housing Merges Oakland and San Jose Offices to Preserve Jobs and Cut Costs (See the Bay Area Regional Office Flyer) (See San Francisco Chronicle article)
- 12/20/11 - STATE SAVES HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS, TRAINS MORE THAN 7,000 WITH NEW SEXUAL HARASSMENT PREVENTION WEBINARS
- 11/03/11 - CALIFORNIA ORDERS UNITED PARCEL SERVICE TO PAY OVER $96,000 FOR FIRING DISABLED EMPLOYEE (Read the Decision)
- 10/26/11 - STATE ORDERS AIR CANADA TO PAY FOR REFUSING TO ACCOMMODATE CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT’S DISABILITY(Read the Decision)
- 10/7/2011 - STATE CIVIL RIGHTS AGENCY'S PROCEDURAL REGULATIONS TAKE EFFECT TODAY(Read the Regs)
- 9/27/2011 - STATE LAUNCHES CIVIL RIGHTS CLINIC AT CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY--BAKERSFIELD
- 9/12/2011 - DFEH ACHIEVES HISTORIC VICTORY--Electrical Supply Company Ordered to Pay $846,300 for Firing Cancer Survivor (Read the Decision)
- 8/03/2011 - BATH & BODY WORKS PAYS EMPLOYEE $70,000 TO SETTLE SEXUAL ORIENTATION HARASSMENT CASE
- 7/11/2011 - STATE ORDERS CAR RENTAL COMPANY TO PAY $89,864 FOR FAILURE TO ACCOMMODATE EMPLOYEE'S DISABILITY
- 5/27/2011 - STATE LAUNCHES DFEH-UCD CIVIL RIGHTS CLINIC
- 5/03/2011 - STATE LAUNCHES DFEH-UCI CIVIL RIGHTS CLINIC
- 3/23/2011 - Law 360 reports Calif.'s Canary in the Employment Mine Shaft.
- 11/30/2010 - STATE REACHES MULTIMILLION DOLLAR SETTLEMENT WITH TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMPANY - VERIZON TO PAY UP TO $6,011,190
- 11/05/2010 - CAR DEALERSHIPS ACCUSED OF PREGNANCY DISCRIMINATION PAY $279,400 TO SETTLE DFEH ACCUSATION
- 10/06/2010 - STATE ANNOUNCES $210,000 SETTLEMENT WITH MEDICAL GROUP IN EMPLOYMENT DISABILITY CASE
- 08/11/2010 - DFEH ANNOUNCES $50,000 SETTLEMENT OF SEXUAL HARASSMENT SUIT AGAINST NATIONAL CONSTRUCTION SUPPLY COMPANY
- 07/16/2010 - DFEH Responds To Community Organizations’ Concerns Regarding San Diego District Office Closure
- 06/01/2010 - STATE SETTLES DISABLED TENANTS’ DISCRIMINATION COMPLAINTS AGAINST MONROVIA APARTMENT COMPLEX
- 03/23/2010 - STATE SECURES $150,000 SEXUAL HARASSMENT SETTLEMENT - Bar owner allegedly sexually assaulted bartender
- 02/25/2010 - STATE ORDERS FRESNO FABRICATION BUSINESS TO PAY $85,636 FOR SEXUAL HARASSMENT VIOLATION
- 02/11/2010 - Setting the Record Straight on the Assembly Committee on Accountability and Administrative Review Report
- 02/10/2010 - DFEH Director Phyllis Cheng Issues Statement on Study Completed By The UCLA RAND Center For Law and Public Policy
- 01/29/2010 - LOMA LINDA UNIVERSITY SETTLES CLASS COMPLAINT FOR JOB APPLICANTS
- 11/23/2009 - STATE SUES APARTMENT OWNERS FOR EVICTING DISABLED TENANT WITH COMPANION ANIMAL
- 10/29/2009 - DFEH ANNOUNCES HISTORIC $242,000 JUDGMENT AGAINST ALAMEDA COUNTY LANDLORD IN HOUSING DISCRIMINATION CASE
- 10/06/2009 - NATIONAL FAIR LENDING EDUCATION PROGRAM LAUNCHED IN LOS ANGELES BY STATE AND FEDERAL OFFICIALS
- 09/25/2009 - EUREKA HEALTHCARE CENTER SETTLES RACE DISCRIMINATION CASE FOR $80,000
- 09/02/2009 - CAR RENTAL COMPANY PAYS EMPLOYEE $70,000 TO SETTLE DISABILITY DISCRIMINATION CASE
- 08/18/2009 - STATE ORDERS LOS ANGELES TAQUERIA OWNER TO PAY $46,645.00 FOR FIRING NEW MOM WHO USED BREAK TIME TO BREASTFEED HER BABY
- 08/18/2009 - EL ESTADO ORDENA A DUEÑO DE TAQUERIA DE LOS ANGELES PAGAR $46,645.00 POR DESPEDIR A UNA NUEVA MAMÁ QUE UTILIZO SU DESCANSO PARA AMAMANTAR A SU BEBÉ
- 08/06/2009 - STATE SETTLES DISABILITY DISCRIMINATION CASE AGAINST LAW SCHOOL ADMISSIONS COUNCIL; LSAC AGREES TO GRANT APPLICANT WITH ADHD TIME AND A HALF FOR LSAT EXAM
- 06/08/2009 - CALIFORNIA BUILDING MAINTENANCE COMPANY PAYS $49,000.00 TO SETTLE EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION CASE
- 06/08/2009 - COMPAÑÍA DE MANTENIMIENTO DE EDIFICIOS EN CALIFORNIA PAGA $49,000.00 PARA RESOLVER CASO DE DISCRIMINACIÓN EN EL EMPLEO
- 04/02/2009 - STATE LAUNCHES EQUAL RIGHTS 101 CAMPAIGN
- 03/12/2009 - STATE ORDERS TERRA LINDA FARMS TO PAY $111,000.00 FOR REFUSING TO REHIRE FARM LABORER WHO PROTESTED SEXUAL ASSAULT
- 03/12/2009 - EL ESTADO ORDENA A TERRA LINDA FARMS PAGAR $111,000.00 POR NEGARSE A REEMPLEAR A UNA OBRERA QUE PROTESTO DE ACOSO SEXUAL
- 01/14/2009 - STATE LEADERS INAUGURATE CALIFORNIA'S CIVIL RIGHTS HEROES
- 10/24/2008 - STOCKTON HOSPITAL PAYS $65,000 TO SETTLE DFEH DISABILITY DISCRIMINATION SUIT
- 09/26/2008 - STATE FINDS ALAMEDA COUNTY APARTMENT OWNERS DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AFRICAN AMERICAN TENANT
- 09/05/2008 - STATE OPENS FAIR EMPLOYMENT AND HOUSING OUTREACH CENTER IN VENTURA COUNTY
- 08/29/2008 - DFEH ANNOUNCES $150,000 DISCRIMINATION SETTLEMENT AGAINST SAN DIEGO HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION
- 08/15/2008 - ORANGE COUNTY APARTMENT COMPLEX PAYS $618,000 TO SETTLE HOUSING DISCRIMINATION CLASS ACTION
- 08/07/2008 - CITRUS HEIGHTS APARTMENT COMPLEX PAYS $70,000 TO SETTLE DISABILITY DISCRIMINATION SUIT FILED BY THE DFEH
- 07/15/2008 - SILICON VALLEY APARTMENT COMPLEX PAYS $100,000 TO SETTLE ALLEGED DISCRIMINATION AGAINST TENANTS FROM INDIA
- 06/23/2008 - EAST PALO ALTO APARTMENT OWNERS PAY $25,000 TO SETTLE ALLEGED DISCRIMINATION AGAINST AFRICAN-AMERICAN MALES
- 06/11/2008 - United Airlines, Accused of Discriminating Against Disabled Mechanic, Settles Suit Filed By DFEH
- 06/02/2008 - DFEH Automates Faster Access to Civil Rights Protections -- Automated Right-to-Sue Letters via the Internet
- 05/23/2008 - California Landlords Pay $200,000 to Settle Pregnancy Discrimination Case
- 04/30/2008 - NAPA LANDLORDS, ACCUSED OF EVICTING WOMAN FOR HAVING TOO MANY CHILDREN, AGREE TO PAY $18,000 SETTLEMENT
- 01/25/2008 - GOVERNOR APPOINTS PHYLLIS CHENG DIRECTOR OF DEPARTMENT OF FAIR EMPLOYMENT AND HOUSING
- 01/07/2008 - DFEH unveils new automated, online system for initiating job related discrimination or harassment complaints
- 08/17/2007 - DFEH Announces $325,000 Settlement In Breast Cancer Discrimination Case
- 04/30/2007 - DFEH Announces In-Person Complaint Filing Program In Ventura
- 04/17/2007 - DFEH today announced that it has settled a pending case against Orchard Park Apartments
- 01/25/2007 - DFEH today announced the $75,000 settlement of a San Mateo County housing case alleging discrimination on the basis of race.
- 10/27/2006 - Orange county apartment complex pays $125,000 in settlement of lawsuit alleging discrimination against families with children
- 10/02/2006 - DFEH announces Ventura County Superior Court jury verdict awarding damages for pregnancy discrimination
- 08/04/2006 - Fair Employment and Housing Commission Awards Damages for Sexual Orientation Discrimination
- 04/27/2006 - Court of appeal upholds $460,000 jury award in Riverside county disability discrimination case
- 02/14/2006 - Tenant diagnosed with AIDS receives $80,000 settlement in disability discrimination case; landlord refused to accept third-party checks to pay for rent
- 12/07/2005 - New Public Service Announcements Released to Help Californians Prevent and Protect against Discrimination
- 12/01/2005 - The deadline for compliance with mandatory sexual harassment training for supervisors is fast approaching
- 11/04/2005 - Tenant receives $ 1million settlement in disability discrimination lawsuit; landlord refused to accommodate tenant with accessible parking
- 10/18/2005 - California celebrates 25th anniversary of the Fair Employment and Housing Act
- 10/12/2005 - New laws will help protect California's civil rights
- 10/03/2005 - DFEH offers sexual harassment prevention training for employers seeking to comply with A.B. 1825 (Sacramento)
- 09/21/2005 - DFEH offers sexual harassment prevention training for employers seeking to comply with A.B. 1825 (San Diego)
- 09/20/2005 - $55,000 in damages was awarded to former employee of car dealership in disability discrimination case
- 09/14/2005 - DFEH offers sexual harassment prevention training for employers seeking to comply with A.B. 1825 (Stockton)
- 08/08/2005 - Northern California Employment Round Table hosts "Meet the Director"
- 04/12/2005 - Fair Employment and Housing Commission awards $167,486 in Precedential sexual harassment and hate violence case
- 04/11/2005 - Hate crime case settled for violent night club attack
- 08/27/2004 - DFEH Wins Housing Ruling on Companion Animal as Reasonable Accommodation
- 08/27/2004 - Governor Schwarzenegger appoints Suzanne Ambrose Director of the Department of Fair Employment and Housing
- 07/30/2004 - Innovation Award - Tribute to the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH)
- 05/05/2004 - Housing Roundtable Winter 2004 Meeting Summary
- 12/03/2003 - DFEH wins $100,000 verdict in post-9/11 hate violence attack
- 10/21/2003 - DFEH wins record $460,000 verdict in mental disability case
- 09/04/2003 - New Internet publication; DFEH Contact Information has been translated in 12 languages
- 09/04/2003 - Hate Violence Fact Sheets: 2003 versions in 10 languages
- 08/30/2003 - Summary of Spring 2003 Fair Housing Roundtables on new DFEH Housing Mediation Program
- 06/13/2003 - City of Los Angeles settles age discrimination case; LAPD removes maximum age requirement for police officer applicants
- 05/29/2003 - DFEH and HUD Announce Partnership In State’s First Mediation Program For Housing Discrimination Complaints
- 03/21/2003 - New State Hate Violence Guide Outlines Remedies For Victims, Community-Based Resources And Prevention Strategies
- 02/06/2003 - Commission awards $175,000 to estate of a Filipino postal worker slain in a 1999 hate violence attack
- 10/23/2002 - Commission finds Turlock Plant in violation of Fair Employment and Housing Act in sexual orientation harassment case
- 09/03/2002 - DFEH settles racial discrimination investigation against Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- 07/27/2002 - DFEH Releases Braille Version Of Employment Disability Brochure
- 05/16/2002 - Commission Finds In Favor of DFEH In Five Discrimination Cases
- 10/19/2001 - DFEH Continues Efforts To Assist Victims Of Hate Crimes: Holds Training For Legal Community And Community-Based Organizations
- 05/07/2001 - DFEH Opens Offices In Los Angeles And San Francisco Bay Area To Mediate Employment Discrimination Complaints
- 04/30/2001 - DFEH Announces New Service to Identify Illegal Restrictive Covenants in Property Documents
- 03/15/2001 - DFEH Settles Racial Harassment Case Against City of Sacramento
- 11/02/2000 - DFEH Seminars To Review Legislative Changes To State Discrimination Laws
- 10/26/2000 - DFEH And U.S. Justice Department Renew Partnership To Focus On Immigration Related Job Discrimination
- 10/20/2000 - DFEH To Settle Case Against Teamsters In San Bernardino County; Sexual Harassment Victim Awarded $105,000 In Damages
- 07/26/2000 - Californians Celebrate 10th Anniversary Of Americans With Disabilities Act
- 05/11/2000 - DFEH Wins Record Settlement In Mental Disability Claim: Tulare County To Pay Former Employee More Than $425,000
- 05/04/2000 - DFEH Issues Advisory Regarding Restrictive Covenant Law
- 04/27/2000 - DFEH Announces Appointment Of Deputy Director For Public Affairs And External Communications